Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Lloyd Doing His Grown Man Thang


Lloyd A Man Revealed
By Jessica LaShawn in Stereo Ave

Lloyd grasped the title of sexy innovative r and b crooner with the release of his debut album Southside. Now at the age of 21 he has resurfaced with a more mature and thought provoking sound with his new album Street Love. Focused and determined to bring the love back to hip hop and r and b, this Atlanta native reaches out to his audience with a heart felt compilation of personal experiences that all ears can relate to. His sweet and savory voice is a constant on the airwaves currently with his undeniable power charged single featuring lil Wayne affectionately titled “You”. I had the privileged of interviewing Lloyd as he revealed the passionate side of man revealed.

JL: How did you pick which single best represents the structure of your new album?
L: I pretty much just sit in a room and blast my music over and over again to see if I still feel the same way as when I first heard it. I do that because once you release a single it is going to be played constantly and you want to make sure it has the right effect on people. You don't want people to constantly hear your song and say I'm tired of this song already. I want to make sure that it is something that you can get into and stay into.

JL: How if any has your subject manner changed and or matured during the development of this project?
L: Well I am 21 now so I'm not a little boy. I talk about real life situations that I go through.
JL: How do you determine which artist add the flavor you envision for a song for a collaborative effort?
L: I am a person that listens to music often because it is something that I love. So of my favorite artist I have a certain few that have a certain quality about them that just does something to me. Music is supposed to make you feel something so when it comes to picking the people I want to work with I tend to go with the individuals that I feel will bring a certain something to the table. I had to chose individuals that brought the same energy I try to exude. SO the people that are on my album are people I listen to a lot and respect in this industry game. They brought a particular element to my record by just being themselves. I am a real cat and I’m talking about real issues so I gotta work with real people to make my music touch the way I want it to. Its gotta be pure.

JL: What struggles or challenges did you face while working to complete this new compilation of music?
L: Making music is a struggle in general or within itself. A lot of people don’t realize that that being an artist isn’t simple. I have to constantly find ways to show how I am or have grown and my album has to have that evolved feel. Regular people just grow up and get wiser without people asking them hey how have you changed and what have you learned since “Southside” or whatever. I need to be comfortable talking about some of my private issues that I go through so that the people listening and I’m around can see. That is what music is all about. This album was pretty much about capturing all the stuff I’ve been going through or people I know, dealing with the situation, and moving on. I gotta write about that, sing about that, after I’ve lived it. That’s the challenge putting the experience into words over the right beat. You gotta find people that relate to you, respect your craft and their own and then you just gotta go full speed ahead.

JL: Describe just who "Lloyd" is on this new album and what message are you trying to get across to your audience?
L: Lloyd is a singer that goes through the same everyday shit that regular people go through. I’m real and normal just like you but I might be recognized a little more. I’m still Lloy don’t get it twisted. I work, I struggle, I have dreams, I get pissed, I’m real and the sooner people are able to understand that the better off things will be. I want people to respect me for my willingness to talk about what I’m going through. I think that I did a good job capturing reality and keeping it real. Love aint easy, no type of relationship is. You constantly gotta sacrifice and that is the thing that people stay away from doing. When you are involved with someone everything is about more than you as a matter of fact you lose you. It is like that when I have a girlfriend and its like that when I‘m working. I wanna sleep I cant because I have interviews. My girl wants to go get something to eat I cant because I have a photo shoot. Life is all about giving and taking. That’s what I’m singing about that is what I living.
JL: How do you plan to use your fame to give back to those in need?
L: It is not always about money. I go and I give myself and that is worth more than money. I am a living example that dreams come true. If ya wanna break into this business then my knowledge will help you out. That realness, rawness, one on one is priceless and that is what I am about. I visit schools, when I am out and about I stop and talk to the people. I don’t want people saying that Lloyd is stuck on himself I want them to say man meeting him was a good experience. You can encourage people like that. That is what I do When I do talk to people I try to emphasize the fact that humanity and respect for life are what we all need to strive for.
JL: This is an emotionally draining industry, have you ever developed a sense of doubt about your talent and or your music? If so how do you deal with it?
L: You can not doubt your self but your only human. It’s all about knowing that you broke into this business for a reason and bank on that. You don’t have room and time to doubt just thank God and take advantage while you can.
JL: What is the most personally challenging aspect of your profession?
L: Its all a personal challenge because its such a revealing industry. Everybody wants to know what is going on in your life. The trick is try and keep as much of your life your own as possible. For some reason people think that you lose your sense of being a person once your first single drops. They think you become a vocal superman.
JL: How do you feel that the education system can incorporate popular music and culture into its curriculum?
L: I think that you gotta do what you gotta do to keep folks interested and keep learning techniques fresh. I agree with it because when I was in school it benefited me. I was able to grow musically and socially based on people fusing the two elements together. Stuff like that is serious for kids today. I’m glad people finally noticed what a huge affect music has on the youth.
JL: So you do agree that such a movement is necessary?
L: Yes it is necessary and it will really help kids have an incentive to learn and come to school.
JL: If you could organize an event to motivate youth to vote in the upcoming election, what would it be?
L: I would do something like what David Banner did with Heal The Hood. That was a good idea. Its all about brining people together under the umbrella of some good old music. That right there can unite anyone. It takes us away from the things that segregate us and action outlines what bonds us which is the fact that we are all human, well I hope we are (laughing). You wonder about some people that have control over the way the government and society runs.
JL: What song on your album best resembles what is going on in society currently?
L: I gotta say Certified because I have grown and got my study on about how to be and embrace growing into a man. Now I did my homework and I’m officially certified. Its for the ladies but more so myself. I’m proud of growing older and wiser. I know I have no choice but to do that but it’s a difficult transition. I’m thankful though.




website stats

No comments: